Warwick Township

I love this 17th century ad for The Swiftsure Stage to "New-York," which I'm assuming ran from Philadelphia. How great is it that the stage left from "the green tree" on North 4th Street? Do you think it was an actual tree, or the name of a business?


(Click the image for a larger view.)

I wonder if "No. 50 North Fourth-Street" is the same today as it was 200 years ago:



See the stop called "Cross Roads" on the Swiftsure ad? That was in Warwick Township — the winner of this week's "What the Heck am I Going to Blog About" contest. Warwick Township, come on down!



Alright. So Warwick has the Moland House, which is wonderful but has been pretty much covered (although it made me titter like a schoolgirl to learn that my history-nerd crush Marquis de Lafayette was once a visitor). It's also got a neat bridge and a pretty old elementary school that students still attend today.

I think what piqued my curiosity the most, though, is this beautiful photo, circa 1880, of students standing outside what's captioned as "Creek Road School House, Miss Twining, Teacher."


(Click the image for a larger view.)

Google though I may, alas, I haven't been able to find any references to the school online. What happened to it? Is it still there? Or was it knocked over and replaced by a golf course?

What happened to the students? Most of them grew up, I hope, with the years unfurling before them like a long bright carpet.

I hope they lived happily ever after.

1 comment:

  1. I love that the 19th century ad lists some of the old names of the towns along the Old York Road such as Crooked Billet (Hatboro) and Coryell's Ferry (New Hope.) Good stuff!

    I'll bet it crossed the river at Coryell's Ferry.

    ReplyDelete