Going, going, gone



Roll your mouse over the image to marvel at my Photoshop skills (and to see what happened to Salem United Church of Christ's parsonage on August 4, 1982).

I'm at home right now and without the power of my mighty clippings files, but I'm pretty sure the parsonage was to the left of the Doylestown Presbyterian Church.

Okay, I'm actually not pretty sure. I was going by this mystery building you can see in the lower right-hand side of the demolition photo:


Which sort of reminds me of this:


You know?

Anyway, the fate of the lovely Victorian building had been debated for many years, but, alas, after a silent vote cast by the congregation, the parsonage merged with the infinite.

When I confirm the location tomorrow (Ooo, I hope I'm right!) I'll let you know what's there now.

Something not as cool, I bet.

Edited to note: I know nothing. It was very obviously Salem Church, across the street and down the block.


3 comments:

  1. This was to the left of the Salem United Church itself (part of which appears in the demolition picture). There is still grumbling in the neighborhood that it was torn down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently covering my face in humiliation. WHY did I assume it was next to a church it wasn't affiliated with, and not even wonder if it could be next to ... gasp ... the church where it was? Silly librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent four or five years of my childhood living in that house while my father was a pastor at Salem. It was a magical and gorgeous building. I spent hours and hours on end playing in the attic. The wrap-around porch was just amazing. My family was completely heartbroken when it was torn down.

    ReplyDelete