1932 Bedminster murder: confessed slaying

Incredibly, reader Mark Glidden discovered this follow-up to Wednesday's post on the murdered farmer.

MONDAY, JANUARY 11, 1932
The Evening News
North Tonawanda, NY

Because, according to his confession, he wanted an automobile to go and see his sick mother, Stanley Wismer, 14-year-old farm hand at Doylestown, Pa., shot and Killed Elmer D. Bartholomew, a farmer. The boy, shown above after his arrest, said he did the shooting with a .22-caliber rifle.
Mark writes:
I was interested in what happened to Stanley and where he ended up. He was only a kid. I figure they didn’t hang him, he was likely too young. I just did a Google search and this was pretty far down the chain; I wondered if there was a tie to N Tonawanda NY or was this story picked up the news services because of the sensational aspect of a kid killing his young employer to visit his sick mother ... not sure I will ever find out that one.
Amazing, right?

2 comments:

  1. I am wondering where the police officer pictured is from. He looks like an English Bobby not like a State Trooper or Doylestown Bucks County Police officer. If anyone knows I would enjoy finding out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a member of the PA State Constabulary, which later became the State Police. They originally wore bobby type uniform.

      Delete