Wrightstown mystery slides no longer such a mystery

Via Facebook
As a young man, Martin Moister built a successful steel company in Philadelphia, and in 1919, at age 33, purchased this six-acre lot on Second Street Pike in Wrightstown Township with his wife, Anna Francis Schoettle. The Moisters soon had children  so they added this playground and pool for their family to play in, and a gazebo -- complete with Mercer tiles -- for themselves. By the time Anna and Martin passed away in 1969, they had 11 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren frolicking on the property.

Eventually the estate was divided and sold. The gatehouse now belongs to one owner, the gazebo to another, and the main house and playground to still another.

The Bucks County Courier Times published this article on the property (there are some fact discrepancies) on Aug. 24, 1977:

Via Flickr
Weird! 
Legends have grown up around Wrightstown estate
By Bill Lynskey
Courier Times Special Writer

Many legends have grown up around the strange estate on the banks of the Neshaminy Creek near the old Chain Bridge in Wrightstown.
To local residents and passing motorists on heavily traveled Second Street Pike, the scene is quite familiar.
Back from the road behind a cover of foliage stand a pair of bizarre sliding boards suspended over a weed-filled pond bed. Nearby, gaudy gazebos and ornate fountains spout more weeds as signs of a tarnished elegance.

Local lore 
According to local lore, the old estate in Wrightstown once belonged to an eccentric millionaire who built an amusement park dedicated to the macabre.
"False," said Wolfgang Lohrbeer, 32, who purchased the stone house and grounds last year. If the late Martin Moister (a designer) constructed an amusement park, it was for his own private amusement, says Lohrbeer.
As a matter of fact, the new owner claims, Moister who built his estate in the 1930s, installed the weird slides and fountains as his own expensive lawn toys. Lohrbeer has lived there with his family of three since last September. During that time, he has had his share of unwelcome visitors who ignore the "No Trespassing" signs to satisfy their curiosity about the place. Once, he had to chase away a couple who were picnicking on his lawn.
Friends have asked Lohrbeer why he would buy a place which attracts such impromptu attention from the uninvited. "Because I'm an idiot," he tells them in his mild German accent with self-effacing charm.
Lohrbeer came to this country five years ago with his American wife. Together, they live in the Spanish-style Moister-designed house on the property. The home is nestled into the side of a hill overlooking the Neshaminy. The house contains various electronic gadgets and inventions conjured up in Moister's fertile imagination.
"He just liked to do things in a big way," said Mrs. Lohrbeer of the designer.
When the new owners moved in last September, they discovered many devices stashed in a maze of secret compartments throughout the house. One gadget consists of five multi-colored fluorescent lights arranged on end around a rotating carousel. Moister also installed timing devices throughout the huge home for electrical and heating systems.
Mystery shrouds the estate's founder as it shrouds his strange eclectic tastes.
According to Lohrbeer, his business was electronics. Lohrbeer also believes he operated a sheet metal and concrete business on the side.

Weird ornaments
Moister used these materials to construct the weird lawn ornaments. He was an engineering genius, claims Lohrbeer.
During the 1930s, Moister designed the artificial pond outside the house. He pumped in water from nearby Neshaminy Creek to fill it through a specially designed piping and pump system. The pump house sits fully intact to this day at the edge of the creek.
Moister's tastes were expensive as well as strange, according to Lohrbeer.
"Today, it would cost over a million dollars to construct this place in material costs alone," he said overlooking the estate. He estimated it would cost over $60,000 to restore the seven and one-half acre site to its former luster. Lohrbeer purchased the estate in its rundown condition for a hefty $90,000.

New owner 
The new owner, a Newtown wallpaper and paint contractor, said he had visions of restoring the estate when he bought it. However, the financial and physical burdens that would impose have made him change his mind.
Lohrbeer intends to sell the Moister home soon. He and his family plan to resettle in an old Victorian home which will take less effort to restore.
"Just last June, the whole place was straightened out," he lamented while surveying the Moister estate. "We cleared away all the weeds. A month later, all the weeds were back again. I'm going bananas."


The article also included some great photos of the place that I hadn't seen before. I'll try to get my hands on them for you.

38 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I've always wondered about this place. One of the stories I heard was that a rich eccentric built the playground for his kids, but his son fell off the steep slide and died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over from London and lived in this house (as a guest of the owner and his wife) for a couple of years in the late 80's.
    He was a car collector/broker. A lovely family. Unfortunately the house and grounds were high maintenance
    I had the top room, an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I played baseball (Tri Township in Wrightstown) with a kid that lived there. I remember his Dad had a Rolls Royce that he used to drive to the ball field once in a while. Interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once heard aliens built that slide, they just love water slides, or was that stonehenge???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darrell hall or the dude balky has a reality show where they restore homes in PA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived here with my brother Jeremy and my parents from 1981 toll 2009 had many crazy parties and good times. My father bought it and we were sad to leave flooding was the reason we sold it. We named it the Coventry estate when we lived there and yes it was haunted. Weird stuff happened. One day at my pool and a lady was sitting near it saying her dead daughter would meet her there on rare occasions. By all to everyone who had a chance to hang with the MIHALYO Hawkins family back then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sold or foreclosed? Sad that such a historic, once beautiful property went downhill like this.

      Delete
    2. Even 7 years later, this question is as rude as ever...

      Delete
  7. I used to drive past this place every day to get to gymnastics and I always looked out the window wondering about this place. I was so curious and now I find out, almost 10 years after I started passing it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someone once told me it was a swim club in the 50's and their grandmother used to go there. Could have been a myth..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is true about the cars, I remember going there to inquire about a vintage Jag for sale.
    There were many cool cars just sitting around ie Rolls Royce ext :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Grandfather, Martin Moister, was a genius and very interesting man. I think he would have been amused by all the speculation regarding his intentions. Simply stated, he had a vision and put his sweat and brawn into making it possible. He was proud of his achievement! I lived there for the first 23 years of my life oblivious to the wonders he provided. Everytime I read an article like this, I feel his passion and appreciate his genius. Thank you Grandpop, Martin Moister! Thank you to everone that shares their curiosity and keeps his legacy alive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leonora Moister WilkinsFebruary 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM

    Nope on all that stuff. Martin Moister was my grandfather. I lived in the carriage house with my family from the time I was born in 49. Horace son of Martin was my father. Grandpop just liked beautiful things and when we lived there the place was beautiful. It was always kept up. We as a family did the repairs. I was up there about twelve years ago and was reduced to tears by the deplorable condition. I use to cut the grass with my dad and it took us two days to cut grass, trim hedges, and trim the payments. I don't think the guy that sold it in September ever did a thing. I have a oil painting of the pool from 1945 when it was a dream. The gardens were beautiful the trees were all taken care of all the fountains worked it was like living in Disney world. Just had to vent. I loved living there and so did the rest of my family. Leonora Moister Wilkins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id love to see the oil painting. Having grown up in the area and driving past this, we always wondered what it must have looked like. I appreciate knowing the history.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a dream... I was exposed to some amazing and beautiful things, places as a young person and now that my dear friends are passed on, the collections and parks are all gone. But we have memories.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for sharing some of your wonderful childhood memories growing up on that estate. I always loved driving past that property growing up in the seventies and eighties.

      Delete
  12. I'd love to see the Mercer tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sad to see it in such disrepair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a treasure! Thank you Leonora Moister Wilkins for sharing this history with us. My family drove by many, many times and as a little girl I'd always imagined what fun it would be to do those slides! Hopefully someone will be able to restore this piece of Bucks County history

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought the house in 1980 and lived there until 2008.I was in the classic and sports car business and always had a lot of cool cars on the property.The reason the pool was never restored is because the property was always flooding.We had over 4ft of water in the house several times.The township originally denied me a permit.I did a lot of work to maintain the property,however some people thought the pool was an eyesore.I thought it was awesome and loved living there despite the floods! Now I live in the coolest city in the world and love it !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly the coolest house I ever babysat in. Recall the pocket doors and chinchillas racing around the room. Tommy and Jeremy had it pretty cool!-

      Delete
  16. I moved to to pa in 1988, and until this day I think its the coolest property. I have been to parties there, and climbed to the top of that slide. I fell in love with my huband on that property. If I had the money I would buy, restore and use it as a tourist attraction/ bed and breakfast. Someday I will make it back there and get a picture with my husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep it was a swim club years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My father said he went there once as a kid. His family went there for an Independence Day Picnic which was a new paid holiday and at least that event was open to the public because they didn't know the family living there or any of the other visitors. He said it was during the war, probably 1942 or so because he was about 8 years old. Unfortunately there are no photographs that he or I have ever seen to corroborate his memory.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I first saw the Moister estate as an 11-year-old in June of 1966 while riding the bus home from summer school, which at the time was held at the Richboro Intermediate School. As most can understand, I was very unhappy about attending summer school--for "remedial" math. On the way home on the first day of dreaded summer school, we crossed the old chain bridge over Neshaminy Creek which was a treat in itself with the bus tires making a very distinctive whirring sound. I'd never seen--or crossed a chain bridge before! Then the whirring stopped and all was quiet. The view from the right side of the bus opened up to reveal a spectacular, beautifully groomed green lawn with a large pool and bridges and what appeared to be slides! (Stop! Let me out!) Who could have build such a wondrous thing? When I got home I tried to explain to my mother what I had seen and I convinced her to drive me back to the chain bridge so she could see for herself. I remember turning around in the "Chain Bridge Inn" parking lot to make a slow pass by the estate grounds. "See Mom!? Look at that! Isn't that just the neatest thing you've ever seen?!? I must say that mom was pretty amused and impressed, but no one could tell us what the property was or who had built such a cool thing! After driving by it for years I only found out about it today...I heard the rumors over the years, and I am happy to find out "the scoop" on the estate today. --Stuart "Goose" Fisher CRHS '73.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Tom, Sabrina, Mr. Hawkins... What a great house! Had such a wonderful time whenever I'd visit, and it always felt like a second home. I always wondered what it must have been like in the earlier years. To those who just drive passed, and wonder what's behind the two slides... For starters, a tennis court! But the house itself was just as "magical" as the pool. One day, someone with vision of it's former glory will buy and restore, I hope. It really is an awesome place, and I have wonderful memories from the late 80's/early 90's there. I do remember the flooding though, and the lawn and drive being under water. Anyone purchasing would need to build a levee I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My grandaughter just asked me about this property yesterday! I moved here in 1972 and remember passing that interesting place many times and wondering what it was.I know the chain bridge was closed and the road was actually moved, and there was a Chain Bridge bar there at one time in the 80s, my daughters went to school CRHS with a boy that lived at the bar.
    Also when we were in Brigantine my daughters met someone named Joe Wilkins and he told us his mom was related to the people that lived in that house!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a fabulous story and piece of history! I love hearing it. I am thrilled that it is still intact and hope and pray that someone restores it back to its original glory. Do we know if it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places? would be worth exploring funding options for restoration.

    Good luck and keep us updated.
    JMP

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can someone please post ANY photos of this amazing property from its "hay day" for us to enjoy??

    ReplyDelete
  24. Did any of you slide down those slides? They are so high.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bill Hawkins and I were married there 1980. Raised our two sons Tom and Jeremy there. Many wonderful memories.💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you met me at Bryan’s Farm and asked me to babysit the boys! Some of my best memories! Loved your family

      Delete
  26. Hey Bill Hawkins. So where is this coolest city in the world that you are now hanging out.
    Marv Fox

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just drove past this property and looked it up to satisfy my curiosity. Our area is rich with these types of properties; gems that pop out of the landscape. Is the county, or anyone else, looking at historic site registration?

    ReplyDelete
  28. we used to pass by that property when i was a kid and the ''rumor'' that was told to me was that the man built this ''playground'' for his daughter who was crippled....dont know where that came from but was always so curious to see if i could see any one playing there.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Grew up in the old stone farmhouse that overlooks the property in the 80s. The grounds were a wonderful place to play with my younger sister. The property was always kept up when the Hawkins family lived there. I was saddened by some of the pictures on google maps of how it looks today. Enjoyed reading this blog and the comments. Lots of good memories.

    ReplyDelete