Fonthill through the forest

Every weekday on my way in to The Intelligencer, I drive down a little section of North Street in Doylestown that runs along the back edge of the Fonthill property.

The property is thick with trees, but after the recent snowstorm ...


(You know -- the big one.)

.. I realized that the little garden shed building where the Doylestown Nature Club once met* sitting in the middle of the woods is a lot closer than I thought.

The snow had fallen so that it picked out the roof and edges of the shed, like a gravestone rubbing. It was so lovely.

I tried to take a photo this morning but I was holding up traffic, so this is all I got:

Alas.

Keeping with the Doylestown theme, check out this clipping I found on Friday — it's from June 1, 1954, and taken, I believe, from a crane (I read that in a corresponding article). On the far right you can see the gorgeous building The Intelligencer was published out of from 1804 all the way through 1974.

(Click the image for a larger view.)

*A commenter more knowledgeable than myself replied to this post:
Mary1, 02-22-10, 3:09 pm
The Doylestown Nature Club had meetings in that building long ago before Henry Mercer offered the use of the second floor of the garage at Fonthill. It is not a gardening shed; it is a two story stone building.
I stand corrected.

No comments:

Post a Comment