Willow Grove Park goodies

As promised, here are some Willow Grove Park goodies for you.

This first one is, I believe, from 1908. I can't remember if I found it online or if it was a postcard someone brought in for the book. Probably the former. Anyway:


Air Ship Flight, Willow Grove Park, 1908. Photo by J. M. Canfield. Click the image for a larger view.

Canfield took a lot of photos of the park, actually.

Haha, I also just learned that the faint thing on the left-hand horizon is the "Sir Hiram Maxim Captive Flying-Machine." Which is what I will now be naming my child.

The "Air Ship" (I want to call it a "dirigible" but some nerd would probably correct me) is so beautiful, isn't it? Very steampunk. Why don't they use those anymore? (Probably because they're always exploding.)

The second is a postcard I bought last weekend (click to view larger):


And the back:


This was taken at Willow Grove on July 4th 1923. This was taken when I was 27 years old.

Today there's a giant indoor shopping mall where Willow Grove Park once stood. Betcha neither of these folks saw that coming.

1 comment:

  1. I love that postcard and wish we knew WHO the people were. The woman doesn't look all that thrilled!

    ReplyDelete