Doylestown (re)internments and Chalfont victory trees

Mark Glidden commented on yesterday's post about Bucks County during WWII:
Hi Rayna,

Happy New Year!

The war dead from Doylestown were re-buried? Is that in the cemetery? Also, I would love to know if you find any info on the Victory Trees in Chalfont, please update here if you find anything.
Mark,

I assumed so, but it's good to check, isn't it? Doylestown Cemetery actually has an impressive website (most cemeteries don't have one at all) that includes a map and a PDF of burials (sans dates, I'm afraid).

Most of the soldiers are on there, though I don't see Michael Kwasny, Donald Meyers, William McConnell or William Satterthwaite.

Mr. Romano sent me a list of the victory tree soldiers yesterday. Here you go:

Lt. Albert Wick
PFC Ray Winkleman
PV1 Harry Swartley
SSgt Charles Petere
Pvt Stanley Sobolowski
AM 3/c Francis Keyburn
Lt. John Boyle

I had some trouble figuring out what AM3/c was. Airman ... something ... third class?

The Chalfont VFW lodge is named for Lt. Wick, I believe. Beyond that, I haven't gotten very far. Duty calls!

1 comment:

  1. Hi - I believe that AMC/3 is a Navy ranking for Aviation Metalsmith. See link below.
    http://www.cem.va.gov/hm/pdf/Ranks_Navy.pdf

    I love your site. I grew up in Yardley in the 50's/60's/70's...spent a ton of time up your way in the Carversville area, and as a wild and curious kid steeped myself in Bucks Co. history and lore. Keep up the great work.

    http://tinyurl.com/2aeflgy

    Best,

    Rick Moffat

    ReplyDelete