Memories of Forest Park

People love Forest Park. My post about the Chalfont amusement park gets almost as many hits on this site as the stuff about Jessica Savitch. Apparently people are really into old amusement parks and grisly celebrity deaths. If I could find a way to combine the two, we'd be getting more traffic than Facebook.

I got a great email the other day from Malcolm Nagle, who writes:
I was a regular at Forest Park in the late 1950s and early 60s, where I would go swimming and wander through the amusement park area. Sometimes riding the Salt And Pepper Shaker or hopping on the miniature railroad that meandered through the woods surrounding the park.
In the summer of 1965, the park had closed for good and the entire inventory had been dismantled and piled up in a huge barn. We entered the barn, looked up and were just awestruck at the enormity of all the amusement park rides piled on top of the black swan paddle boats, piled on top of the little railroad piled on top of boxes. I left with just one thing: a face from the old Skeeball game. To the best of my knowledge, it's the only extant relic from the Park. I've kept this face all these years for unknown reasons.

How creepy! I love it! Malcolm offered to share some of his more recent photos as well. Here's one he calls "Picnic ghosts."


Thank you, Malcolm. These are wonderful.
Who else remembers Forest Park? I'd love to hear your stories.

1 comment:

  1. Not Skeeball. Ball Toss. Try tossing an oval ball through its oval mouth. Fairly sure this game was just for suckers.

    ReplyDelete