Bitzer's collapse

Intelligencer photo by Stephanie Veto
I grew up right down the street from this place in New Britain Borough -- the Intelligencer is calling it "an abandoned building" and I guess they're right. Some time yesterday (February 20, 2014) Bitzer bit the dust. I wish I'd had a chance to explore it before its untimely (or timely, I suppose) demise.

I can't remember ever going there when I was little, but we'd drive right by it any time we went to Doylestown. I'm still a bit of a youngster, though. How about you? Did Bitzer ever press your shirts?

2 comments:

  1. I have driven past that building no fewer than a few thousand times over the years but was never in the building; yet the bold black cursive Bitzer will most likely have a spot in my memory. Not unlike someone you pass on the streets for years, not knowing anything about them other than that you share a common pedestrian path. One day you see their picture on the obituary page and realize that you are weirdly connected in a way you can not even explain. Somehow this little part of you is gone.

    I drove by this building almost 10 years ago to the day on a very cold February night after saying goodbye for the last time to my mother as she passed. Strange how something as simple and unconnected as an old building that wasn't maintained can make a permanent place in ones memory....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan Bitzer was in my class of 1958 at Central Bucks. Bill Goodwin

    ReplyDelete