The American Sailor's Songster

This one isn't too Bucks County specific, except that, like the trade cards I posted the other week, this tiny book is also in the collection at the Mercer Museum library. But ... aww. Lookit. Poor little beat-up baby.

It's called The American Sailor's Songster, and doesn't include a publication date (maybe a mouse chewed it off, heh), but was printed by Fisher and Brother in Philadelphia, probably in the early-to-mid 1800s.

 
At 3" wide by 4.5" tall, it's great enough just because of its size, but the thing that snared my heart was the very-obviously at home repair to the front cover. I'm pretty sure I can say that I've never seen somebody repair a hardcover book with a needle and thread before. The damage on the back cover looks like some mice got at it, though the cleanly trimmed pages beneath are a little more baffling. 
 



I was hoping a book titled "Sailor's Songster" would be filled with filthy nautical ballads but, alas, it was not to be. The most offensive thing in here is probably just a song in praise of Andrew Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment