Elizabeth Detweiler Royer

I just like this photo so I posted it. It ran in a thing on women's history The Intelligencer did for their Bicentennial edition in 1975. Aren't their clothes the coolest? Well, unless you had to, like, walk anywhere or do anything besides pose for photos, I guess.

For some more info I checked out Elizabeth and Jess on Ancestry. She was born in June 1867 and ... um ... well, I can't find anything too exciting about her. After getting married she and Jesse lived in Worcester, Montgomery County for a bunch for years. In 1930 they were living in Doylestown at 167 North Clinton Street.

Jess worked as a wheelwright and a carriage builder and later as a carpenter. Lizzie stayed home, though they never had any children. I wonder what she did all day. Probably sat around without her corset on.

I can't figure out when she died — no obits as far as I can tell, and she's not listed in the Doylestown Cemetery's internment records.

Wearing her best dress, Elizabeth Detweiler became the wife of Jess Royer at a ceremony in her parents' home in Skippack in 1885.

1 comment: